Everything you need to know about Second Grade Math with Confidence. Includes an overview of what your child will learn, a downloadable sample, answers to frequently asked questions, and buying information.
In this article, you’ll find all the information specific to Second Grade Math with Confidence:
- How the program and lessons are organized
- What your child will learn
- What you’ll need
- Placement advice
- Where to buy the books
For information about the series as a whole (or information on other grade levels), please see this article: Overview of Math with Confidence Homeschool Math Curriculum.
Wishing you all the best in your teaching! Happy Second Grade Math!
What’s the program’s format?
Second Grade Math with Confidence is a complete second-grade math program with two volumes: an Instructor Guide and a Student Workbook.
- The Instructor Guide is the core of the program, with conversational and hands-on activities and games that teach the key skills and concepts.
- The Student Workbook provides 2 short workbook pages each day. The front side provides practice with new skills. The back reviews previously-learned material.
Second Grade Math with Confidence has 32 weeks of lessons, with 4 required core lessons and 1 optional enrichment lesson per week. This gives you the flexibility to take one day off per week for field trips or errands without worrying that you’re falling behind. (See below for more on the optional enrichment lessons.) And, you can take the occasional Grandma’s-visiting/broken-dishwasher/everyone-has-pinkeye week off, and you’ll still be able to finish the program in a typical academic year.
If you used First Grade Math with Confidence, you’ll find the format for the Second Grade program very familiar. It has the same overall flow to the lessons, weeks, and units, and it uses many of the same manipulatives and representations to build your child’s confidence with the new skills and concepts.
What’s a typical lesson look like?
The lessons are short and simple. Most of the pilot families said they take about 20-30 minutes from start to finish. You’ll spend about 10-15 minutes teaching the lesson, and then your child will take 10-15 minutes to complete the workbook pages.
Each lesson includes 3 parts:
- Warm-up: Counting, Memory Work, and Review. Each lesson begins with a short warm-up to practice counting, memory work, and key skills. Warming up like this also helps build your child’s confidence and starts the lesson on a positive note.
- Hands-on teaching. Next, you’ll teach your child a new concept or skill with hands-on, conversational activities. For example, you might play a math card game, play “Chocolate Shop” to practice adding two-digit numbers, or roll dice to create a bar graph.
- Workbook. Last, your child will complete 2 short workbook pages. On the front side, he’ll practice the new concept that you taught him in the hands-on activity. On the back, he’ll review previously-learned skills. Occasionally, you’ll use the front side of the workbook page during the hands-on teaching part of the lesson.
Can I download a sample?
You bet! You’ll find the full introduction, scope and sequence, and materials list, plus a variety of lessons from across the year so that you get a good sense of the program as a whole. Make sure to download both files so that you can see both the scripted Instructor Guide and full-color Student Workbook.
What will my child learn?
Second Grade Math with Confidence is a full-year, comprehensive curriculum that covers everything your child needs to learn in second grade. She’ll learn to:
- Read, write, and compare numbers to 1000
- Understand place-value to 1000
- Add and subtract 2- and 3-digit numbers
- Solve addition and subtraction word problems with numbers to 100
- Create and read bar graphs, line graphs, and pictographs
- Write money amounts with a decimal point
- Tell time to the minute
- Measure length with the appropriate unit
- Divide shapes into equal parts and name the parts with written fractions
- Identify 2-D and 3-D shapes
What materials will I need?
I’ve kept the materials list as simple and budget-friendly as possible, just like in the earlier levels of Math with Confidence: base-ten blocks, counters, coins, play money, playing cards, dice, a clock with hands, a ruler, a dry erase marker, and a few plastic page protectors. (The pilot testers also recommend a binder with plastic page protectors for storing blackline masters and game boards.)
If you don’t already own base-ten blocks, you can find them online for about $25 or at school supply stores. Besides these, you’ll also sometimes use household items like stuffed animals, small toys, or crayons.
How are picture books incorporated?
Each week includes an enrichment lesson with a picture book and real-life math application activity. These are completely optional, and you can include as many or as few as you want over the course of the year. Some families do these on the fifth day of the week, some incorporate them into their Morning Time or read-aloud time, and some families skip them entirely.
Keep in mind you don’t have to drive yourself crazy tracking down every book. Many of them are also available as read-alouds on Youtube. It’s perfectly fine to just grab a few math picture books from your library and read those instead if your library doesn’t have many of these titles.
Is my child ready to start Second Grade Math with Confidence?
Most children are ready to start Second Grade Math with Confidence when they are 7 years old. Your child is ready if she can:
- Count to 100 by 1s, 2s, 5s, and 10s.
- Read, write, and compare 2-digit numbers.
- Understand the meaning of the tens-place and ones-place in 2-digit numbers.
- Write simple addition and subtraction equations, and solve simple word problems with single-digit numbers.
- Know most of the addition facts up to 9 + 9.
- Know most of the subtraction facts that involve subtracting from numbers up to 10 (for example, 7 – 4 or 10 – 6).
- Know the names and values of coins and identify combinations of a few coins.
If you have more questions about placement, check out this article for more advice and answers to frequently asked questions:
Will there be other grades? Is Math with Confidence a full series?
Yes! See this article for the release dates and more information on other grades.
Where can I buy Second Grade Math with Confidence?
Digital copies (PDFs) are available only at Well-Trained Mind Press. For the Student Workbook, you’ll automatically receive both the standard version and the printer-friendly version.